January 1, 2018
BC Partners in Planning Ltd., BCPIP Accounting Services Ltd., and BCPIP Law Corporation, their partners and employees (collectively “BCPIP” or “BCPIP group”), value your business and are committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal, business and financial information.
Our Policy meets the requirements of the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act and the Personal Information Protection Regulations. We will post this Policy on the BCPIP website and from time to time we may amend this Policy and post the amended Policy on our website. The collection, use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information by BCPIP will be governed by the version of this Policy in effect at that time.
1. Purposes for Collecting, Using, Sharing and Disclosing Personal Information
BCPIP may collect, use, share, and/or disclose personal information:
- To verify identity;
- To understand and advise on the personal financial planning, retirement and succession planning needs of our clients;
- To provide and deliver requested products and services including managing, effecting and coordinating services and transactions and to carry out any associated payments, administration and servicing;
- To prepare tax returns and financial statements;
- To provide legal services;
- To meet regulatory and contractual requirements and comply with laws;
- To invoice and collect payment for services and products provided by us to you;
- To develop and maintain our relationship, and communicate, with you;
- To follow up on matters to solve your unique problems that arise in relation to requested products and services (e.g. communicating on tax matters with Canada Revenue Agency);
- To communicate with other professional third party service providers as requested by you and in matters where we lack the expertise or knowledge;
- To obtain legal advice and enforce or defend our rights;
- To detect, investigate and prevent fraud, errors or criminal activity;
- To any person authorized to transact your business on your behalf; and
- For any other purpose for which we have consent.
The knowledge and consent of the client, express or implied, are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information by BCPIP, except where otherwise required or permitted by law. By using or accessing the BCPIP website or services offered by BCPIP, you consent to the collection, use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Policy. If you do not consent to the collection, use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Policy, please do not provide any personal information to BCPIP group.
To the extent possible, BCPIP will obtain consent to collect, use and disclose personal information about an individual directly from such individual. However, if you provide personal information concerning another individual (including adverse parties, other individuals involved in legal proceedings, dependents or other family members) to BCPIP, you represent that, prior to submitting such information, you have obtained the necessary consent or authority to permit us to collect, use, share and disclose such personal information for the purposes set out in this Policy, or the collection, use and disclosure is permitted by applicable law.
3. Using, Sharing and Disclosing Personal Information
We do not sell, exchange or rent client personal information to anyone, nor do we share client information with organizations outside of our relationship with you that would use it to contact you about their own products and services.
We may disclose your personal information to third party service providers in Canada where the transfer is necessary to fulfill your request, or to those with whom we have a contractual agreement (that includes appropriate privacy standards), who may be assisting us with the purposes identified above in section 1.
Occasionally we may use your personal information to advise you of products or services we believe may be of interest to you or fit your personal circumstances. If you would rather not receive this type of communication, please advise our Privacy Officer.
We may collect, use, share and disclose your SIN for income tax reporting purposes, record keeping purposes or to provide service requested by you that requires the disclosure of your SIN.
We may share your personal information with any member of the BCPIP group to meet your service needs. Files and records of BC Partners in Planning Ltd. and BCPIP Accounting Services Ltd. are held in shared binders and folders and therefore may be co-mingled and shared by any member of the BCPIP group. BCPIP Law Corporation files are strictly segregated.
4. Security of Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring that your personal information is secure and will use reasonable safeguards to protect personal information from theft, modification, unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure and destruction. We will take care in disposing of personal information.
Only authorized partners, principals, employees, agents, suppliers and contractors (who have agreed to keep the information confidential) have access to client personal information.
5. Retaining Personal Information
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of business or legal purposes and as permitted or required by law.
6. Accuracy of Personal Information
We will keep personal information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
7. Requests for Access to Personal Information
Upon a request in writing, within a reasonable time BCPIP will inform a client of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information, and the client will be given access to that information, subject to the exceptions in the Act and except where the law requires or permits BCPIP to deny access. There may be a reasonable cost attached to the request depending on the type and amount of information requested, such as copying or postage fees.
8. Website Activity
9. Questions and Concerns
If you have any questions with respect to our Policy concerning the handling of your personal information, or if you wish to request access to, or correction of, your personal information under our custody and control, or make a complaint, please direct your inquiries to the BCPIP Privacy Officer:
Nicole Snowball, BSc. (Hons)
BC Partners in Planning Ltd.
2497 Marine Drive
West Vancouver, BC V7V 1L3